1. Replace your regular light bulbs with either orange or purple...it really gives your room a spooky illumination.
2. Purchase some of the giant cob web cotton and spread it over areas not typically used. For example place it on the light fixture in the dining room and then gently pull it over the room's table and chairs and anchor it underneath the chair legs. Then add little plastic spiders to the web to make it look a lttle more authentic!
3. I also mix real pumpkins with faux pumpkins bought at a craft store like Michaels. If you display them together, at a quick glance it is hard to tell the real fom fake ...and this way you don't have to purchase a whole truck load of real ones each year!
4. Glam up you pumpkins by adding glitter to them . I did this one year as part of Grace's birthday party activites...you can use regular glue and sprinkle on the glitter or buy glitter glue. Mix the glitter colors together to create a really splashy and unique look!
5. Pick up items on sale before the holiday. I know many stores like Kohls will sharply discount items as the holiday grows near. Then get out early the day after Halloween for some real bargains!!
6. I also like to add some music to the whole evening so I have collected a few really good CDs of Halloween tunes like the themes from "The Twilight Zone" and "Ghosts Busters" along with classics like "Monster Mash".