I am an absolute genius!!!! Either that or I have managed to totally luck out...most likely it's the latter. This year our back patio was updated with a few new items. Almost all glass items from the space have been removed since our dog Buster took out one of my glass top end tables last month. I also incorporated a couple thrifty craft ideas which cost virtually nothing!
In this patio update I really wanted to bring more vibrant color to our beautiful outdoor living space. My jumping off point was actually the colors of the love seat's cushions which were purchased at the end of last summer. Then a bright lemon yellow and bold ocean blue were infused into the overall color palette. One brown pillow was kept on the love seat to tie it to the brown of the carpet.
The first easy peasy craft idea is my shatterproof home made vase below. To see what it was made from and how this look was achieved, just click here.
Last summer I created a wine cork serving tray from an old tray which had been lying around the house. To see how this transformation was done click here.
For only $17 I did splurge and purchase two cute wire candle holders over at the Christmas Tree Shop.
I still have the glass top cart on the patio but the plan is to replace the glass with either wood or a metal grating. Right now it is in a very "out of the way" spot, so it should remain safe from destruction. The Lemon color tablecloth I found at Kohls today for $15. The cute place mats I picked up for only 50 cents each at an end of the summer clearance sale a couple years ago.
By the way the floor is nothing more than painted concrete. To see the tutorial you will need to click here.
So here is the breakdown of the cost for furnishing our back patio...
1. Hand me down table and 4 chairs from my parents 17 years ago...cost $0
2. Serving cart which was a yard sale casualty from 2 years ago...cost $0
3. Wicker rocker was a yard sale find...cost $5
4. Freebie table from my sister Kim...cost $0
5. Wicker love seat found on the side of the road last summer...cost $0
6. End table re-purposed into a coffee table was a curbside find from just last month...cost $0
7. Curbside find from last year that I found on my own block...cost $0. (To see the rocking chair before it's paint job just click here.)
8. (Not in Picture) The small wicker table between the love seat and rocker was a $2 yard sale find my sister purchased and then passed on to me...cost $0
Total cost for all of the furnishings...
A whopping five dollars!!
In addition to my previous purchases of the yellow table cloth and wire candle holders, this year I spent another $150 on the new outdoor carpet to anchor my seating arrangement, three outdoor throw pillows found on clearance over at Pier One, and eight curtain panels purchased this week at the Christmas Tree Shop. So for just $182 spent this summer, my back patio received a brand new look.
I just adore the colors of our living space, it's so fresh and cheerful with a very cool vibe! I hope I may have given you an idea or two for sprucing up an outdoor retreat of your own. Remember to keep your eyes open and your mind creative when it comes to furnishing any room in your home!
Wishing you a fabulous weekend!!
Now where did I put my coffee and HGTV magazine?
Sharing this post at link parties over at these super blogs...