While visiting Washington DC with the kids during spring break, we took a quick jaunt over to the plantation estate of George Washington, Mt. Vernon.
The estate sits on the banks of the Potomac River in Fairfax Virginia.
Mt Vernon was a family owned estate of which Washington acquired possession in 1754. He didn't become sole owner of the property until 1761.
As you can see the cupola is being refurbished. The cupola itself is topped off with a weathervane in the shape of a dove bearing an olive branch.
The Servants Hall lies adjacent to the left of the Bowling Green side of the mansion.
To the right of the mansion is the kitchen.
Beautiful arched walkways connect the two outer buildings to the mansion.
The dung repository in the background is located near the stable.
The gardens of Mt. Vernon.
Shortly after his death on December 14, 1799, George Washington's body was laid to rest in the Old Tomb at Mt. Vernon.
The new tomb was opened in 1831, two marble sarcophagus's are housed by this vault. The final resting place for both George and Martha Washington.
The sheep paddock near the stables.
After Washington's death the plantation passed through a series of relatives who were unable for one reason or another, to maintain the property. In 1858 the Mount Vernon Ladies Association acquired the plantation and part of the property thus rescuing it from neglect and disrepair. During the civil war the estate served as neutral ground for both the North and the South.